Located in New York City is Novotel. You may walk by it a couple of times if you’re not paying attention, but at night theres a huge sign that you cant miss and an entrance full of violet lights. Its located in Times Square in the Theatre District, which I was realllyyy happy about. I love Times Square and all but would rather not be right in the middle of it.
I stayed at Novotel Hotel during Fashion Week and had the best commute and view! What I loved about my stay was feel of being in Times Squares during your whole stay. The hotel itself reflected Times Square, as if you were in Times Square at every moment. The brights lights, sculptures, furniture it was all very animated .Even the rooms has a Times Square vibe to it (except you are able to turn the lights off you want to). Lots of European guests stay here
- Pre-Arrival & Arrival
Accommodations were made two weeks before. When you walk in theres a small lobby area where I thought you check in. Seconds later the staff directed me up the to “main lobby”. I was happy to know that there is a pre-lobby entrance and main lobby. It makes you feel safer knowing that randoms are not just hanging around.
- Check in: time took about 5 minutes. I showed up a little bit before check in times hoping to get lucky, I was happy when staff told me my room was already available. Smooth check in.
- Staff greeted me by name upon check in, everyone was friendly but the lobby area was a little dark because of the times square themed lights so I didn’t make eye contact that much.
- Room Experience
- First impression: I stayed in the newly redesigned King Room. As you can see from the photos there were cozy blankets and pillows ready for me to dive in. The headboard was really neat, the outer part was a wood frame and plush art drawing in the middle (again reminiscent of Times Square). One thing I didn’t notice until the last day was the large LED light on the headboard, great for reading in bed or in my case finishing work after the sun.
- Welcome amenity: No special welcome treats but when I turned the TV on it welcomed me with my name and almost a virtual tour of the room with directions.
- Closet space: was fine you can always use more hangers. Equipped with a nice iron and ironing board. Also a small dresser inside of the closet.
- Wifi: free, but the speed is standard. I would probably pay for the faster service if you need to use for laptop for more than 2 hours.
- Phone Charger/Dock: yes, but for Iphone 4. I couldn’t use it.
- Bathrobes/Slippers: No.
- Coffee/Tea: No, but the hotel offers room service.
- Free bottled water: No.
- Magazine selection: Yes. A couple of travel magazines, which I love to read. Right on point.
- Power sockets: Yes! Tons of them. I was super happy about that. Some were incorporated in the furniture.
Very clean. Spotless when I checked in and spotless when I came back at night.
- Favorite part of the room in my opinion. All appliances were modern and luxe. The lights were dimmed just right and not too bright. No bath, but im more of a shower guy. The walk in shower was all glass. Towels were very large (which im always grateful for).
- Toiletries included the usual shower gel, shampoo and small soap + shower cap. I always use my own products.
- Hair dryer: yes, and it is not stuck to the wall. Its portable, haha!
- Restaurant & Bar
- Novotel bar and restaurant is called Supernova. Their headline is “Expert Cocktails and Beautiful Food” and both were equally satisfying. Around 9:30am I went went downstairs to try their breakfast buffet ($25 pp & children under 16 free). Everything you could think of, traditional american brunch options, fruit, special jams, some gluten free options, vegan options, salads, juices and more.
- The food was great and it was one of my first impressions with the staff. They were really energetic, offered to carried my plate to the table and asked if I needed anything else. In addition they explained that they can cook omelettes in the kitchen if I wanted. By that time I was already enjoyed my meal and kindly declined. Loved the staff at breakfast. Didn’t try dinner or room service.
- Ask for Gerard, he can tell you anything about a drink you’d want to know. I went with the Pisco Punch: Peruvian pisco, fresh pineapple, lime and Angostura topped with soda.
Gym facility: yes, but didn’t use it. This is the same equipment you would see at your gym. Similar to a Planet Fitness, but smaller.
- Location (nearby):
Great location for someone that visiting and wants to explore everything without taking trains, cabs etc. You’re in midtown, everything is steps aways. Not to mention there is a Duane Reade (similar to CVS) right next door to the hotel and they have Fro-Yo, if you’re a fan.
- Newly Redesigned King bed: 345 USD per night.
Would I stay here again?
I would! If friends or family come in town id recommend Novotel. Its right in the middle of New York City and it will always be something to do around. Especially if you love what the Theatre District has to offer. I did find a deal here starting at $285 USD per night.